April 19, 2008

Wise words

Wow. Just read this column by Kristin Armstrong (one of my favorite writers of the moment) ...

http://tinyurl.com/3vs2dj

I use these feelings all the time in training, the amazing sense of wonder of the next moment, what's around the next turn, some view of a random rooftop that I've run past 50 times but never noticed. Same goes with a particular drum beat or other background sound when sporting the iPod Shuffle.

I left all that at home for this year's Umstead. Wow.

I agree with K. It's really a LOT more about persistence than talent. Especially when you're talking about 100-milers.

You can only do so much with your body. You finish 100s with your mind. A 100 is a test of will. Running helps, but running isn't all of it.

Old Dominion 100 is June 7. Glad I get another shot soon. :)

2 comments:

Sophie Speidel said...

Wanna "companion runner" at OD?

run4daysbill said...

Heck YEAH!!!

Might be kinda late until we leave Elizabeth Furnace, but Sherman Gap and Veach Gap are kinda pretty in the dark. :-)

See ya THIS Friday! Woo!