September 25, 2019

Oh Sh#t!!

Demon 2: We have a problem.

Demon 1: Problem?

D2: Gentry.

D1: Gentry? That loser?

D2: He’s a problem.

D1: Seriously? He’s a non-entity.

D2: We’re losing our grip on him.

D1: LOL! Do tell.

D2: I think he may actually finish that Wild Oak thing this year.

D1 (cackling): Wild Oak?! The 100-plus-miler with the 29,000 feet of vert that he’s quit THIRTEEN times?

D2: Yes.

D1: Dude. Seriously. Stop.

D2: Look at that 10-day race he did in May.

D1: LOL! You mean the one where he missed his goal by 65 miles?!! Hahahah. There’s some badass for ya.

D2: We thought we had him knocked down and going home on Day 3. He. got. back. up.

D1: So?

D2: And then reworked his goal. And ended up beating that new goal by 15 miles. And had his best day of all on the last day.

D1: Big whoop. One race. Whatever.

D2: Yeah, but it changed him.

D1: Riiiiight.

D2: I’m telling you. He’s been running his ass off. Climbing. Lifting. Meditating.

D1: OK. Whatever. He’s still a wuss. You been in his dreams?

D2: Yeah. I have. He’s laughing at us.

D1: Doesn’t matter. He’ll quit. He always quits Wild Oak.

D2: Yeah but this time, he knows he can finish.

D1: Dude has a sweet resume, but Wild Oak is like 10 times harder than all the other stuff he's ever finished combined.

D2: I'm telling you. Different brain space now. 

D1: No amount of training can get you ready if ... 

 D2: Listen to me. He is in a different place now. He knows that he can finish.

D1: Wait. What?

D2: This time, he. knows. he. can. finish. And he’s all, “I don’t know if I *will* or not, but I know now that I *can.*

D1: Oh. shit.

No comments: