March 8, 2011

Why EVERY Day?

This morning's little 2-hour runwalk with Jack marked Day 1,477 in my current consecutive-day running streak, just a touch beyond four years. Thought it might be a good time for a few "here's why" comments that have been roiling around in my head of late.

• When I was in college, I put in a LOT of 130-mile weeks without a rest day. Now, it's more like a lot of 50s and 60s. Maybe I never learned how to train properly? Or maybe I did.

• Stubborn is good.

• "When?" and "how long?" are a lot easier to answer than "if?"

• It's a constant reminder that except for those rarest of days, "hard" lives squarely between your ears.

• My hearing's not so good any more, but I hear The Clock of Life ticking loud and true.

• Several days a week, I get somewhere between 20 minutes and as much as 6 hours ... all. to. myself.

• On about half the days of a given year, I get 23 hours, 30 minutes or so of non-running rest.

• I don't want to miss a thing, especially before the sun comes up.

• There's nothing like the flow that comes from getting inside your own head, and my best way to get there is on foot at 5-7 mph.

• When I streak, I own the quote, "There will be a day when I can no longer do this. Today is not that day."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very inspiring, i am honored to share the trail with you on some of these runs.....thank you!

ultrarunnergirl said...

You are a machine, B. Good points all. Especially the final point and awesome quote. Keep on Keeping ON!

Rick Gray said...

Keep on Keeping on as long as you desire. You will know when it is time to stop the streak. Until then ENJOY!

Sabrina Moran said...

And the number one reason why EVERY day? ...because you're a B.A.!! Haha. You are a machine, Gentry!